Peanut Butter and Banana French Toast
- 8 slices soft white bread
- ¼ cup reduced-fat creamyor crunchy peanut butter
- 1 small banana, very thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- pancake syrup or honey, for serving
1. Arrange the bread on your work surface. Spread one tablespoon peanut butter on each of 4 slices. Top with banana slices. Cover with a second piece of bread.
2. Using the tines of a fork, press down around the outside of the bread to seal the 2 pieces together, enclosing the filling.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and pepper. Dip the sandwiches,one at a time, into the egg mixture, pressing down to saturate both sides. Turn the sandwiches over for a dunk on the second side if necessary. Don’t let the bread sit in the mixture for too long or it will get too soggy.
4. Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the butter is melted and hot but not browned, add the French toast sandwiches. Cook for 2 minutes per side, until golden but not brown.Flip each sandwich over and cook for 2 minutes on the second side until golden.
5. Transfer to plates and serve with pancake syrup or honey.
Susie Fishbein is an everyday cook who loves to share her passion for cooking and entertaining with friends and family. Her enthusiasm for food and entertaining led to the creation of her best-selling cookbook, Kosher by Design, published in 2003 by ArtScroll Shaar Press. Since then, Fishbein has debuted Kosher by Design Entertains, Kosher by Design: Kids in the Kitchen Kosher by Design: Short on Time, Passover by Design, Kosher by Design Lightens Up, and the newly published Kosher by Design Teens & 20-Somethings. Unit sales in the series have exceeded 400,000 copies.