Who says sushi has to be salmon? What do you do if your family believes that a meal is not complete without meat? This was created for my son Ryan who loves sushi, but won't eat fish. As most of the starters in our home are meat, I like to serve this with a plate of chopped liver puffs. The length of the ingredient list doesn't make the recipe lengthier and harder, sometimes just a little tastier! The easiest way to make this cake is to have all the ingredients precut and premade in bowls.
- 2 cups raw sushi rice
- ¼ cup Manischewitz Creamy Horseradish Sauce (Wasabi)
- 1 ¼ cups mayonnaise
- 500 grams (1 lb) smoked beef or smoked turkey breast (cold cuts) finely sliced
- 1½ cups grated carrot
- 1 large red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced into matchsticksize strips
- 2 cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage/Iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup defrosted corn
- ½ cup chopped spring onions
- 1 English cucumber, cut into matchsticksize strips
- 250 grams (8 oz) can water chestnuts, drained and finely sliced
- 2 avocado pears
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling
- 1 cup potato stick crisps or fried vegetable crisps
- 100 grams (4 oz) salted cashew nuts, roughly crushed
Dressing Ingredients (served separately)
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Manischewitz Creamy Horseradish sauce (Wasabi)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
To make the dressing, place all the ingredients below into a bottle with a tightly fitting lid. Shake well and set aside
- Cook the raw sushi rice as per the packet instructions and allow to cool.
- In a bowl, mix the horseradish sauce with the mayonnaise. This will now be referred to as 'the sauce' from here on out.
- Firmly press 1 cup of the cooked sushi rice (about 1 inch) into the base of a greased 10-12 inch springform tin.
- Spread ½ cup of 'the sauce' over the entire layer of rice.
- Top this with half of the steak, followed by the grated carrot, then the red pepper and finally the Chinese cabbage.
- Add another layer of sushi rice and spread ½ cup of 'the sauce' over it.
- Top this with the corn, followed by the spring onions, the cucumber, the chestnuts and finally the remaining steak/turkey.
- Cover with a final layer of sushi rice. Place a piece of wax wrap on top of the rice and gently press down on the cake to compress it.
- Refrigerate for up to a day. Just before serving, remove the cake from the tin, plate it and cover with theremaining sauce.
- Slice the avocados into wedges and arrange them on top of the cake.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and pile the potato sticks and cashew nuts on top.
- Shake dressing up again just before serving with the cake
Sharon Lurie is the author of two award-winning, best-selling cookery books, 'Cooking with the Kosher Butcher's Wife' and 'Celebrating with the Kosher Butcher's Wife'. She is a food consultant, writes for various local and international magazines and has her own cooking show on Chai FM.
As a butcher's wife, she has 'shechted' the old myth that kosher meat is tough, dry and boring